29 Jan 5 Months Til’ Lift Off!
Wait…. isn’t this list supposed to be smaller than last months? Well it’s unfortunately not, instead of less to do, we have even more. We are coming to the realization that a lot of our list just can’t be done until closer to our departure date. Regardless we are going to try our hardest not to leave much for the month before we leave. Hannah had a lot of ‘great’ ideas to add to the list this month, if she keeps adding she might have to start her own blog as a solo female traveler!
This is our third installment of the TO-DO List of a lifetime. For those of you just tuning in, we will be leaving everything on the list and just striking it out as we go. Items in Green are new ones, and stuff in Red we are almost done with.
Sign up for Charles Schwab Account(Zero ATM fees World Wide) Done Setup layered bank accounts& train parents to dump money between accounts so we don’t have to while connected to shady Wi-Fi spots
- Figure out car insurance – Apparently it can be difficult or expensive to get car insurance when you return home if you have a gap in coverage (Our insurance agent is a friend who will actually be meeting us in Guatemala in the early part of our trip, so he will help us figure it out)
- Sell Hannah’s car – Any one interested? It just got a brand new transmission this month!!! That hurt the RTW fund but at least we got some airline miles…
- Spend a few dollars on all mileage credit cards just before we leave to keep miles/points from falling off
- Cancel UN-necessary Credit Cards
Friends & Family
- Setup Skype with family/friends
- Host a grand going away party
- Buy net book for trip
- Buy small clear tackle/storage box for Hannah’s make up
- Buy Large tackle/storage box for medical kit
- Organize Camera / Tech bag
- Finalize Packing of main packs
- Buy a external hard drive – We decided we needed one of these after reading several blogs about how slow it is to up load to a cloud drive while traveling.
Set a general route and time line– See or Route!
- Nail down next years Christmas plans with Hannah’s Parents – Almost done, we have Hannah’s Parents signed up for Untied Credit Cards and they are each flying free one way!
Book our Spanish school and Home Stay for July in Guatemala when we have friends joining us!
- Hep B vac for Adam (two down one more to go)
- Hep A Vac for both of us in May/June
- Typhoid Fever for both of us in May/June
- Yellow Fever for Hannah
- Tetanus for Adam & Hannah (Our insurance covers all of our vaccinations, but from what we have read may insurances don’t; so if that is the case for you, for cost reasons many people opt to get them while on the road early in their journey)
- Schedule Knee Doctor just before we leave (Don’t want to be limping around the world)
- Dentist appointments
- Hannah eye exam June (To keep lifetime warranty on Lasik surgery)
- Change Hannah’s birth control to IUD (We don’t need a permanent tag-a-long, yet!)(appointment set)
- Rent Our House
Find Tinkerbell a foster home-Thank you Becky for volunteering
- Sell unused stuff on eBay / Craig’s list (In process: $75.60 Profits so far)
- Donate stuff that’s not worth listing (5 large garbage bags & counting)
- Put everything else into storage
- Find a place to store Adam’s Truck
- Find a good place to store Hannah’s Wedding Rings
Order Hannah a cheap wedding band(To ensure others know she is taken!) Done
- Drink 18 bottles of wine (Where did we get all of this wine?) – Three Down, 15 to Go! We actual got a bottle as a gift this month, so we will have to drink an extra to make up for it.
3021 bottles of salad dressing (We eat salads daily and when Hannah sees a deal watch out!) – 9 down, 21 to go
- Forward our mail somewhere (Any volunteers to collect 15 months of junk mail??)
New house hold items (Thanks Hannah)
- Paint the bathroom, it is kind of an intense green color right now and both of us are not crazy about the color and hope it will help get the house rented!
- Replace a light switch upstairs that is having issues, we don’t need any problems while we aren’t there.
- Travelers insurance
- Add pages to passports, although we just heard that doing it abroad is easier
- Get passport pictures
- Scan documents – Passports, all receipts for travel insurance claims, all travel confirmations, credit card contact numbers
- Get international drivers license
- Setup Storage on cloud drive & Show Dad how periodically download (We were planning on using Amazon’s drive or is there a better one?)
- Write letter of resignation – Adam (Is it wrong to be really excited for this one?)
- Ask for leave of absence – Hannah
- Cancel cell phone service (Just before we leave)
Stuff we already did that you should too
- Buy an unlocked GSM Tri / Quad Band cell phone on eBay (You can then buy sim cards and pre-paid minutes abroad, under $0.10USD / minute in most countries)