25 Mar Meet a Traveler- Interview with Over Yonderlust
Meet Shaun & Erica from Over Yonderlust
The who are you ?’s
1. Who are you and where do you hail from? We are Shaun and Erica Kuschel and hail from Austin, Texas (the greatest city in TEXAS!). Shaun is originally from Mesa, Arizona and I grew up in El Paso, Texas before moving to Austin.
2. How did you meet your partner in crime? How long have you known each other? Haha! One little known fact about us is that we met when we were 15 years old at church and have been together off and on for the past 15 years. To relay the whole thing would require a short novel so I hope you don’t mind the Reader’s Digest version.
3. What jobs did you kick to the curb in order to travel? Both of us worked for Blizzard Entertainment (think World of Warcraft) for a few years. I quit to pursue my photography career and Shaun was at it up until 3 days before we left. It was a hard thing for him to give up.
4. Explain your website name, where did it come from/how did you come up with it? I actually had a group brainstorm with all my friends on Facebook and my very awesome friend Cameron came up with it. In the south we say “over yonder” to denote something in the distance and then we fused “yonder” with “wanderlust’ to create Over Yonderlust.
The fun ?’s
1. What’s the most under-estimated country & why? Colombia. People are still afraid of it for some reason. The crime is under control and it has some of the most amazing people in the world. Besides Japan, it is one of our favorite countries.
2. What’s your biggest travel mishap? The time that Shaun rushed into a bar in Mexico and asked to use the bathroom due to a raging case of TD. I guess the looked horrible because the bartender told me she was calling the cops (thinking that Shaun was using drugs) and we were kicked out of the bar.
3. What luxuries did you forgoe in order to save for your travels? The hardest thing was working at a video game company and whenever the end of year bonuses would come flooding in, everyone would spend it on new TVs, new gaming systems, and tech in general. There were several years where we had no common ground because we didn’t own the same things.
4. What country has the best $1usd menu? What can one expect to get for $1usd? Bolivia! We ate at this one burger stand – I kid you not – 10 days in a row. For $1 you got a hamburger with an egg, hotdogs, salsa, and fries. You can’t beat that. AND THEY WERE GOOD.
Quick & Dirty (1-2 word answers)
1. Favorite beach Tulum, Mexico
2. #1 must have travel items Bandana
3. Zip-off pants or no zip-off pants No.
4. Favorite beer Fireman’s 4
5. Favorite ice-cream flavor Pistachio
6. How many stamps in your passport? 48
Website link: http://overyonderlust.com
Facebook link: http://facebook.com/overyonderlust
Twitter link: http://twitter.com/overyonderlust