Meet Talon & Tigger from 1 Dad, 1 Kid, 1 Crazy Adventure
The who are you ?’s
1. Who are you and where do you hail from? Talon & son Tigger. We’re from the US.
2. How did you meet your partner in crime? How long have you known each other? We met a few weeks before he moved in to become my son. We’ve been a family for just over 5 years so far.
3. What jobs did you kick to the curb in order to travel? I was a hospice chaplain, working with the dying and their loved ones.
4. Explain your website name, where did it come from/how did you come up with it? Well, I have a few sites. The primary one is 1 Dad, 1 Kid, 1 Crazy Adventure (1Dad1Kid.com). I was trying to think of something memorable. The crazy adventure seemed quite apropos at the time because I figured people would think I was insane to quit my job and leave the States for an indefinite trip traveling the world with my young son as a single parent. I recently started a food blog (Travels4Yum.com). Food and culture are two of my favorite things about travel, so that blog focuses primarily on those. That name came about when I was trying to figure out a name that was catchy but still fun. It just kind of hit me, and when I saw it was available I snagged it.
The fun ?’s
1. What’s the most under-estimated country & why? Morocco. It just constantly surprises, and the people are absolutely amazing.
2. What’s your biggest travel mishap? We really haven’t had any big mishaps, but I’d probably say the bus ride from Guatemala to Honduras that was supposed to be 9 hours on a nice, air-conditioned bus but turned out to be 15 hours on crappy, cockroach-infested buses instead.
3. What luxuries did you forgoe in order to save for your travels? We didn’t really save much before we left since I was already planning on working as we travel (we are traveling indefinitely), but we started evaluating purchases by how many days lodging that would buy, how would we carry it in our packs, etc. We still do that while we travel. It’s a great formula.
4. What country has the best $1usd menu? What can one expect to get for $1usd? So far I’d have to say Thailand. Most street food can be purchased for just under $1, and it’s pretty filling and tasty. My faves would be “meat on a stick” (anything on a skewer) and sticky rice with mango (which is less than $1).
Quick & Dirty (1-2 word answers)
1. Favorite beach Essaouria, Morocco
2. #1 must have travel items Kindle, laptop
3. Zip-off pants or no zip-off pants No zip-offs.
4. Favorite beer Guinness
5. Favorite ice-cream flavor Pralines & cream
6. How many stamps in your passport? 42