The traveling we do sometimes makes us reflect about our home town. We wonder how well we know Milwaukee? We pour hours and hours in to researching a new travel destination, but have we really seen everything in our own city? So we decided to comprise a list of places we would potentially go if we were outsiders coming to Milwaukee.
Favorite Out to Dinner Restaurant
- Hannah: Tutto’s on Old World Third. Favorites – Sweet Chili Calamari, Burgers, and Chicken Marsala. They have have nightly drink specials, and food specials during the week.
- Adam: Crawdaddy’s ($18-$24 Dinner) - New Orleans inspired seafood and southern cooking. Best Dish – Stuffed Eggplant (Fried Eggplant stuffed with Large perfectly cooked shrimp, craw-fish tails, vegetables smothered in a cajun gravy. Served with Spanish rice & Carrots)
Best Ice Cream
- Hannah: Honestly she loves everything and anything that’s cold and creamy. From Whole Foods Gelato Counter (amazing), to frozen yogurt shops Cake Batter. Can’t go wrong with custard, Kopps custard, Culver’s Frozen Custard(worked here for 5 years). She is also guilty for loving the chain restaurant Cheesecake Factory’s Godiva Brownie hot fudge sundae.
- Adam: Kopp’s Frozen Custard – Wisconsin knows it’s Dairy, and this place makes some of the best
Best Patio Restaurant
- Milwaukee Ale House- right on the Milwaukee river, has really good foot traffic, you could take the river walk and hit a few different patios. Great place for a day drinking in warm weather!
- Ricardo’s Riverfront Pizzeria- Great crust & toppings, an overall winner! Also on the Milwaukee river with a good patio.
- Sobelman’s- A Milwaukee tradition, this place is slammed on the weekends! Everyone is lookingfor a great tasty burger & a bloody to cure their hangovers.
Best Happy hour:
- Duke’s on Water Street – $1 Beers and Rails til’ 9pm Everyday, and all day Sunday
- Rascal’s on Murray – $1 Beers and Rail’s til’ 9pm Everyday and all day Sunday
Honestly we go where the price is right…so depending the day & time it changes….but you can usually catch us at Rascals on North Ave. Right next door is Two Buck a bar where basically everything is $2 all day every day for lots of beers & mixers (Jack/Stoli/Micros) or Duke’s on Water St.
Best Upscale Bar/Night Club:
- Kennedies- Ladies drink free on Fridays until midnight, free rails. Other prices are standard for Milwaukee, they do have specials just ask!
- Hannah: Summerfest- Starts the last Thursday of June and goes for 10 days ending on Sunday. Great free music, we usually go see OAR or another up and coming artist. Drinks are pricey, but depending on your smuggling skills you could try and sneak things in. But be aware every one gets a pat down and a purse search…so it can be tricky!
- Adam: Great Lakes Brewfest – Mid-September – Over 100 Breweries and 250+ Beers to sample, great way to spend a fall afternoon
Best Farmer’s Market:
- Cathedral Square- Saturdays June-October, lots of fresh veggies & flowers, organic & local vendors, Amish produce, dogie treats, and hot/cold ready to eat items too
Best Place to bring a visiting friend or relative:
- River boat brewery tour – Stops at several local breweries (warm weather only)
- Lakefront Brewery Tour – The tour operators are funny and you get a decent sample.
- A Milwaukee Brewers Game – Make sure to get to the parking lot at least 2 hours prior to the first pitch to do it right. Tailgate with some of the best tailgaters around, have a brat, and beer or 6.
Ok, now that you know where to go, all that’s left is to find a hotel in Milwaukee and Get Here!