Distance driven: 212.2
Photos taken: 182
Camp Site: YMCA Hostal Christchurch
Sunrise and beachside coffee
Being our last day we got up before the sun did and headed down to the water for sun up. We had just enough gas for the camp stove to heat up some water for coffee while we waited for the sun.
The Kaikoura peninsula is home to some of the best year round whale watching opportunities in the world. They owe it to the massive canyon system just under the surface off the shores here. This system sustains a high powered underwater food system that keeps the whales, and many other species coming back.
Whale Watch Kaikoura boasts a hard to believe 95% success rate on their trips, and they even have a 80% money back guaranty on the rare day when you don’t get to see a whale.
The whales tend to hangout just a short boat ride from shore, in the massive canyon system. Using high tech sonar detecting instruments the crew tracks down where, and an idea of when, the whales might pop up. We cruised with them the day after a storm and the whales were playing a little hard to get, but they tracked down a large male sperm whale toward the end of our tour and he was worth the wait.
He stayed and let us take shots for nearly five minutes, but before we knew it, he was tail up and diving down, not to return for nearly an hour.
It’s been fun Peaches
After our tour in Kaikoura and saying good bye to the whales, it was time to say another goodbye, this time to our trusty and colorful campervan that we have come to call “Peaches”.
She took us 3225.2 Km (2015.8 Miles) in our short 14 days together. We are going to miss her, well kinda. I am happy to be sleeping in a real bed again, and not living in a van down by a river.
Check out the rest of our NZ Route with Everything Travel Group:
- Kiwi Krawl Route
- Kiwi Krawl Day 1: Christchurch to Lake Tekapo & Star Gazing
- kiwi Krawl Day 2: The East Coast
- Kiwi Krawl Day 3: Te Anau & Glow Worms!
- Kiwi Krawl Day 4: The Milford Sound
- Kiwi Krawl Day 5: Queenstown
- Kiwi Krawl Day 6: Glenorchy
- Kiwi Krawl Day 7: Queenstown Classics
- Kiwi Krawl Day 8: Unwinding in Queenstown
- Kiwi Krawl Day 9: Queenstown to The West Cost Glaciers
- Kiwi Krawl Day 10: Fox Glacier
- Kiwi Krawl Day 11: Able Tasman
- Kiwi Krawl Day 12: Nelson & Beer
- Kiwi Krawl Day 13: Swimming with Dolphins
*We were guests of Everything Travel Group & Whale Watch Kaikoura,but all thoughts & opinions are our own*