Meet a Traveler – Interview with Suitcase Stories
Meet Nicole & Michael from Suitcase Stories
The who are you ?’s
1. Who are you and where do you hail from?
We are Nicole and Michael and we are from Queensland, Australia.
2. How did you meet your partner in crime? How long have you known each other?
We lived in the same neighborhood and met in 1999. We have been inseparable ever since!
3. What jobs did you kick to the curb in order to travel?
Nicole had her own business for 13 years (in the aesthetics industry). Michael was a Project Manager in civil engineering.
4. Explain your website name, where did it come from/how did you come up with it?
We knew we wanted our blog to focus on stories from our journey as well as sharing stories from other travelers too. We also have travel tips and destination guides of course but we want the focus to be more on story telling. Plus, Suitcase Stories just had a good ring to it. We had narrowed it down to two names we were keen on so we asked our family and friends to take a vote between the two – Suitcase Stories won hands down!
The fun ?’s
1. What’s the most under-estimated country & why?
I don’t know if its under-estimated by the general population but Spain was one we completely under-estimated! Our first stop in Spain was Barcelona. We didn’t have high expectations at all. But as soon as we arrived we realized we had been completely unaware of Spain’s beauty. We fell head over heals for this city and the whole country in general.
2. What’s your biggest travel mishap?
There was one ‘mishap’ which still makes Nicole angry when she think about it 4 months later! We were ripped off by a taxi driver in Buenos Aires. Michael had stepped out of the taxi to get the bags from the boot and I stayed behind to pay. He swapped over the notes so it looked like I gave him a smaller bill than I should have (so I gave him more) and because I was tired after a long flight I didn’t even realize what had happened until after he drove off. I know this happens to travelers frequently but I was really annoyed at myself because I had read so many books and posts about safety and scams and I thought I was prepared for everything! It was only $20 USD but I couldn’t believed I was taken advantage of!
3. What luxuries did you forgo in order to save for your travels? Everything! We knew that if we wanted our travels to last long term we would have to be very strict. It wasn’t actually hard to do because we kept the big picture in sight every day. If you focus on your goal and want it bad enough, you can make anything happen!
4. What country has the best $1usd menu? What can one expect to get for $1usd? We have had some great street food in Hong Kong, Thailand and Mexico. All very cheap and very tasty!
Quick & Dirty (1-2 word answers)
1. Favorite beach Nicole: Curacao Island Michael: Magens Bay
2. #1 must have travel items Nicole: Camera Michael: iPod
3. Zip-off pants or no zip-off pants Both: No
4. Favorite beer Both: Corona
5. Favorite ice-cream flavor Nicole: Chocolate Michael: Choc-Mint
6. How many stamps in your passport? Both: 22
Facebook page link: www.facebook.com/
Twitter page link: www.twitter.com/suitcases2
Webpage link: www.suitcasestories.com