25 Oct Travel Photo Roulette Round 91: Inspire
Thanks to Jeremy from living the dream RTW for picking us as the winner of round 90 of Photo Travel Roulette. The theme was ‘Our Grand Adventure’, and the winning picture was from our camper van trip through New Zealand. This is still one of my favorites from New Zealand with our bright colored camper van parked in the middle of the U-shaped canyon.
So it’s now our duty to start off the next round of Travel Photo Roulette and choose a theme. Since we are in the midst of planning our travels for 2015 we are looking for some inspiration, and nothing inspires me more than a great picture of a new or exotic place. So Round 91’s theme is ‘Inspire’.
Show me your best shot of a place in the world that you love. Put me there through your picture. It could be a massive landscape, a beautiful beach, unique wildlife, or anything that would make someone run to the computer and book tickets to a destination.
The contest will be open for entries until Saturday November 1st 8am EST. The winner will be announced before we head out on a Morocco tour November 2nd. We will do our best to get your photos up, but we are currently at TBEX which will keep us busy.
A few examples to help clarify the theme:
For example 90% of the reason we went to the Philippines was this picture.
And if this doesn’t make you want to go to Fiji I don’t know what will.
Or show us a shot that instantly puts you instantly into a place, like this elephant standing in the plains of the Maasai Mara National park in Kenya.
Alright thanks for playing Travel Photo Roulette along and here we go… ready, set, INSPIRE!
How to Enter Travel Photo Roulette #91
Leave a comment below with a link to you picture (either from your WordPress content upload or a Flickr account or similar) along with a description of what the picture is about and why it’s inspirational. Winners will be chosen based on their ability to inspire us with a single photo. Winner will be announced shortly after contest closes on November 2nd.
Travel Photo Roulette Contest Overview
The contest rotates through travel/photography blogs, so the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme (a generic keyword or phrase) and bloggers submit their interpretations of the theme over the course of the week of the contest.
At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions and displays it as the week’s winning entry. They then include direction to the new host for the next round. Readers can attempt to sway the author into picking a certain photo via comments, but the author can ignore comments as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
Feel free to share this post on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Trover and StumbleUpon so more people can join the contest – make sure to use the hashtag #PhotoRoulette
Travel Photo Roulette Guidelines
- One submission per blog, so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry.
- Post processing is permitted in this round.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized.
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme: Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’
- Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque,” or “Overlooking Creation.” Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, all photographs must be your own.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for travel and photography bloggers, you must have a travel/photography blog to enter. Sorry!
WINNER – FlashpackerHQ
Travis’s photos inspired us to include Alaska into our future epic US road trip. Can’t believe this scenery can be found in our home country. Great capture Travis and inspiring us to explore Alaska!
The following are the entries into Photo Roulette Round #91:
Entry #1 from Dare2go– Some photos can not capture an entire place, like the Iguazu Falls between Argentina and Brazil. They stretch over such vast area, with forested bits between, that it’s impossible to get them into one frame, not even from a helicopter. Next have a look at the people standing in the top left on the viewing platform, how tiny they look in front of this fall, which by the way is NOT the main fall “Garganta del Diablo” (Devil’s Throat). You have to be there, feel the spray of the water in the air and on your skin (careful with your electronics like camera!), and hear the roar of the water masses plunging down the cliff face – no photo or video can ever capture this!
Entry #2 MichelePeterson –Lake Atitlan, Guatemala has been inspiring travellers for centuries and no matter how many times you see it, the view of the deep lake surrounded by a necklace of dark volcano’s continues to be awe-inspiring. And if you spend time in the pueblos surrounding the lake,and the volcanoes seem to shape-shift in the ever-changing light and it’s easy to share the Mayan belief that each volcano has its own unique soul.
Entry #3 TravelAddicts.net –Nothing inspires us more than a beautiful travel sunset. We took this photo of the sun setting over Sentinel Peak from Chapman’s Peak Drive outside of Cape Town.
Entry #4 OneWayTicketToLife– We saw some pictures of Cappadocia, Turkey and its hot air balloons and that inspired us to absolutely make a stop there during our RTW trip! Riding the hot air balloon while admiring Cappadocia’s sunrise and its unique landscape was a once in a lifetime experience for us!
Entry #5 TwelveCountries– This is from our last morning in Florence, alongside the Arno which cuts through the city
Entry #6 BrentsFavoritePhotos –A shot similar to this one inspired our trip to the beaches of Thailand.
Entry #7 TheSuitcaseShuffle –We’ve been living in Australia for 3.5 years now. Every time I see this photo it reminds me why we moved in the first place. I’m reminded of all the reasons stepping outside your comfort zone is the best thing you can do in life.
Entry #8 Russ Pearce – Our photo shows a soldier in deep contemplation wandering around the British Commonwealth Cemetery at Tyne Cot. I’m sure he was inspired.
Entry #9 TheGlobalCouple– While on a trek in Myanmar’s hill country (and struggling with blisters and so on), I was inspired by the local people working the fields such as the woman in the photo who was gathering rice (from the Pa’O tribe, hence the colourful headscarf). These people lead such challenging, tough lives yet they were always happy and gracious when we spoke with them. It reminded me to be grateful for all that I have in life!
Entry #10 FlashpackerHQ – Heading to Alaska and not experiencing a Glacier is like going to Hawaii and skipping the beach. We did a guided glacier hike on Matanuska Glacier just outside Anchorage which was fantastic. If you get the chance to go ice climbing, grab it.
Entry #11 Globe-Trekking – One of the most surreal experiences one can experience is an early morning sunrise over the fields of Bagan. Among the foggy morning and jungle foliage, the ancient Buddhist temples add to the mystique of the area.
Entry #12 TravelswithCarole -This sheep was spotted as we drove to Dingle Town through the amazing Connor Pass.
Entry #13 DivergentTravelers – There are beaches in Indonesia that will ignite the travel bug in anyone. This photo features a remote beach from the top of Gili Laba in Eastern Indonesia.
Entry #14 30daylocals – Once we discovered you could easily go hang gliding in Rio, we just knew it had to be part of our trip to South America. Gliding over the city, free as a bird, is one of the most amazing experiences and one that will stay with us for a lifetime. Even the drive up to this jump-off point was an adventure in and of itself. Go and you’ll see what we mean.
Entry #15 Linguist On The Move- This one comes to you from Borobudur, on the island of Java, Indonesia. I may not be a Buddhist, but sitting atop even just the first tier (there are three, each representing the stages leading to enlightenment) and watching out over the misty morning jungle inspired me to stop and contemplate how insanely lucky I am to have opportunities like these.
The following is the winners table list from the past four years of photo roulette. As mentioned above, the host of each round won the previous round and continued the game with their chosen theme.
- Nov 2010 Living the Dream Animals
- Nov 2010
Skinny BackpackerRoad Signs
- Nov 2010 Dream a Little Dream Street Art
- Dec 2010 Flashpacker HQ Festival
- Dec 2010 Over Yonderlust Landmarks
- Dec 2010 Don’t Ever Look Back Beaches
- Jan 2011 ThePlanetD Portraits
- Jan 2011 Travel with a Mate Motion
- Jan 2011 Johnny Vagabond Water
- Feb 2011 Ken Kaminesky Urban
- Feb 2011 Travels of Adam Friday Night
- Mar 2011 Itchy Feet Chronicles The Journey
- Mar 2011 Brendan’s Adventures Changing Seasons
- Apr 2011
- Apr 2011 10 Times One Piousness
- Apr 2011 Beached Eskimo Learning
- May 2011 Travel Junkies Architecture
- Jun 2011 Destination World Transportation
- Jun 2011 Living the Dream Paradise
- Jun 2011 Vagabond Quest Clothes
- Jul 2011 The Unframed World Symmetry
- Jul 2011 Beached Eskimo Home
- Jul 2011 BackPackerBanter Inspiration
- Aug 2011 WanderingTrader Darkness
- Aug 2011 Finding the Universe Tranquillity
- Sep 2011 Fearful Adventurer Food
- Sep 2011 Adventures of a GoodMan City
- Oct 2011 Globe-Trekking.com Reflection
- Oct 2011
Scene With A HartFraming
- Nov 2011 Vagabond Quest Silhouettes
- Nov 2011 Hecktic Travels Music
- Dec 2011 Globetrotter Girls Love
- Dec 2011 Man on the lam Humor
- Jan 2012 My Walkabout Winter
- Jan 2012 The Art of Slow Travel Blue
- Feb 2012 Ten times One Depth of the Field
- Not Hosted Anymore
- Mar 2012 Nomadbiba Sunshine
- Mar 2012 Travel With Kat Local Character
- Apr 2012 The Travel Bunny Street Scene
- Apr 2012 Adventure Crow Spirit of the Country
- May 2012 Food Travel Bliss Evening
- May 2012 Matt Gibson Adventure
- May 2012 Flashpacker HQ Once In A Lifetime
- Jul 2012 Skinny Backpacker Surreal
- Aug 2012 2away Smile
- Aug 2012 Bridges and Balloons Excellent Splendour of the Universe
- Sep 2012 The GypsyNester What the ?!
- Oct 2012
- Nov 2012 GQ Trippin Play
- Nov 2012 Life’s Little Victories Friendship
- Dec 2012 Breakaway Backpacker Face
- Jan 2013 Fly, Icarus, Fly Serendipity
- Feb 2013 Travel Transmissions Lost in Thought
- Feb 2013 Wanderlusters The Natural World
- Mar 2013 Travel Junkies Patterns
- Apr 2013 Living the Dream Your First Time
- May 2013 Getting Stamped The Sun Goes Down
- Jun 2013 The GypsyNester Cheesy Tourist Diversions
- Jun 2013 Boomeresque Revolution
- Jul 2013 Breakaway Backpacker Colorful
- Aug 2013 Around This World Mountains
- Aug 2013 Passports and Pamplemousse Hands at Work
- Sep 2013 TurtlesTravel Dance
- Sep 2013 Keep calm and travel The Sea
- Sep 2013 Travel Photo Discovery The Market
- Oct 2013 Am I Nearly There Yet? Travel Fails
- Oct 2013 The GypsyNester Weird Regional Foods
- Nov 2013 Sophie’s World Trees
- Nov 2013 SHOuTography Party
- Dec 2013 Adventures of a Goodman Ruin
- Dec 2013 Have Blog Will Travel Light
- Jan 2014 This World Rocks Crowds
- Jan 2014 Travel Past 50 Competition
- Feb 2014 The Working Traveller Working
- Mar 2014 Travels with Carole Umbrellas
- Apr 2014 Independent Travel Help Quirky
- Apr 2014 Quit Job Travel World Statues
- May 2014 Nomad is Beautiful People Sleeping
- May 2014 Backpack Me Mouthwatering
- Jun 2014 20 Years Hence The Face of A Nation
- Jul 2014 Two for the Road Into the Wild
- Jul 2014 TurtlesTravel Summer!
- Aug 2014 Adventures Around Asia Candid
- Aug 2014 Travel with Kevin and Ruth Hiking
- Sept 2014 Till The Money Runs Out Transport
- Sept 2014 The Crowded Planet Wild World
- Sept 2014 ZigZag On Earth The 4 Elements
- Oct 2014 Travel Addicts Heritage
- Oct 2014 Living the Dream Your Grand Adventure
- Oct 2014 Getting Stamped Inspire