There’s nothing like choosing your Christmas tree to really put you in a festive mood, especially in a state like Wisconsin, where the early arrival of snowfall can really put you in the holiday mood. Visiting a Christmas tree farm in Wisconsin is a family tradition of ours!
Wisconsin is actually ranked fifth worldwide for how many Christmas trees are grown here and in such a wide variety of tree species! Statewide, there are over 23,000 acres of growth land and over 850 independent tree farms. Over 700,000 individual Christmas trees are harvested every year, ending up in homes around the country.
Many of these Christmas tree farms are family-owned and have generations of hard work and expertise behind the growth lots. Most offer both pre-cut and cut-your-own Christmas trees. Regardless of which you choose, spending a day at a tree farm is a great family experience. Add in the hot drinks, visits with Santa, and ornament shops, and you’re in for a festive day that will really put you in the Christmas mood.
Check out these Christmas tree farms in Wisconsin where you can take the perfect tree home, and be sure to check out what else they offer. There’s nothing like a steaming cup of cocoa while the snow falls around you.
1. Buffalo Bill’s Christmas Tree Farm – Franklin (Just outside of Milwaukee)
Buffalo Bill’s is a one-stop Christmas fun stop for families. Not only can you get your Christmas tree here, but make a day of it and stay for all the fun activities. If you’re looking for a Milwaukee Christmas tree farm, this is where we go.
Pre-cut trees are brought in from Northern Wisconsin, and a large variety of choose-and-cut trees grow on the large property. There are over 11,000 trees currently growing on the 60 acres of woodland, with up to 2,000 new ones grown every year.
Other activities include children’s crafting, a cozy campfire, and even a sledding hill (with sled rentals available) if there’s snow. Santa does “pop by” visits on December 5th and 12th. And the perfect snack to complement a festive day out? Hot chocolate, cookies, and hot cider for mom and dad.
Buffalo Bill’s is also one of the best pumpkin patches in Wisconsin too.
- Address: 9612 W Oakwood Rd, Franklin
- 3 pm-5 pm Tuesday-Thursday
- 9 am-5 pm Friday-Sunday
- Closed Mondays
- Christmas Tree varieties available: Fraser Fir, Balsam Fir, White Pine (pre-cut). Canaan Fir, Douglas Fir, Blue Spruce, White Spruce, Scotch Pine (U-cut).
- Attractions: Face painting, sledding, crafting, Santa visits
2. Sugar Creek Tree Farm
Sugar Creek Farm is a family-owned tree farm 45 minutes southwest of Milwaukee. The farm is 32 acres and grows thousands of trees annually (all are u-cut). It’s one of the largest Milwaukee Christmas tree farms but remember all of them are you cut.
Sugar Creek has six tree varieties: Colorado blue spruce, white spruce, Balsam fir, Fraser fir, Scotch pine, and white pine. Prices range from $40-$65, with some fresh-cut Fraser fir trees going for up to $110. Additional things like baling, shaking, wrapping and loading assistance are all complimentary.
On weekends, grab a few refreshments to stay warm while looking for your tree. Sugar Creek Farm has cookies, hot chocolate, and hot apple cider, the perfect snacks to make you feel extra festive in cold weather.
- Address: N6447 Church Rd, Burlington
- Prices: $40 – $110, depending on tree variety. Cash or cheque only.
- Tree varieties available: spruce, fir, and pine (2 varieties of each)
- Attractions: Cookie & drink concession
3. Christmas on Indian Lore
Christmas on Indian Lore is a tree farm and holiday activity hotspot just north of Milwaukee.
They offer both pre-cut trees (Canaan fir, Fraser fir, white pine, and blue spruce) as well as cut your own (white spruce, blue spruce, white pine, and Canaan fir). Pre-cut trees range from $25-$110, while u-cut are usually between $46-$64.
There is a $5 entry fee for all guests or $4 if you purchase a tree. But, if you’d rather check out the farm activities, there’s lots to do! Kids will love the free wagon rides, farm animals, and communal campfires. You can also roast marshmallows and make s’mores.
- Address: 7790 Indian Lore Rd, West Bend
- Prices: $25 starting price, all the way up to $160 for very tall Christmas trees. $5 entry fee.
- Tree varieties available: Canaan fir, Fraser fir, white pine, blue spruce, white spruce
- Attractions: Communal campfire with snacks, Christmas trail walk, wagon rides
Madison Christmas Tree Farms
4. Enchanted Valley Acres – Cross Plains (outside of Madison)
Enchanted Valley Acres is a free-admission Christmas tree farm located in Cross Plains, near Madison.
The farm has both u-cut and pre-cut tree options available. Choose between Fraser Firs, Balsam Firs, Canaan Firs, or White Pines. Size options range from 3 feet to 12 feet high. Enchanted Valley offers a lot of complimentary services with your tree, like free shaking, free use of hand saws, and free wrapping and loading assistance.
There is a playground with kid-sized hamster wheels, giant 200-foot slides, and a tricycle track. On weekends there are free wagon rides. Weekend tree purchases come with free hot cider or hot cocoa, and mini donuts are available for purchase from the concession. If you’re looking for one of the best Christmas tree farms in Madison, head here!
- Address: 5047 Enchanted Valley Road, Cross Plain
- Prices: U-cut is $70 for any Fraser, Balsam, or Canaan Firs, or $60 for any White Pine. Pre-cut trees vary in price. Shaking, sawing, and packaging is free.
- Tree varieties available: Fraser Fir, Balsam Fir, Canaan Fir, White Pine
- Attractions: Giant slides, playground, concession, wagon rides
5. CaPaul’s Christmas Tree Farm – Waunakee (outside of Madison)
CaPaul’s Christmas tree farm is a family-run tree farm located in Waunakee, just north of Madison.
There are three tree varieties available: Fraser firs, White pines, and Scotch pines. Pine trees are u-cut only at $50, while the fir trees have pre-cut and u-cut options (both $70). All prices include taxes. They’ve also considered those with smaller living spaces that may not allow for larger trees, so they offer apartment-sized or even table-top trees at a lower price point.
Tree services include shaking, baling, wrapping, and loading assistance at no extra charge. Hand saws are also provided for anyone who will be cutting their own tree. Handmade fresh wreaths and garlands are available for purchase, along with handmade Christmas ornaments at the gift shop.
Don’t miss the giant, 9-foot-tall wreath, perfect for a family photo.
- Address: 5897 River Rd, Waunakee
- Prices: Pines (u-cut) for $50, Firs (both u-cut and pre-cut) for $70
- Tree varieties available: Fraser Fir, White Pine, Scotch Pine
- Attractions: Fresh wreaths and garlands available, giant wreath for a photo opportunity, visits from Santa, gift shop
6. Cedar Creek Farm – Recently Sold
Cedar Creek Farm is a family-owned Christmas tree farm located in Verona, west of Madison. The area was barren, eroded land until it was restored, and is now a protected wetland area with natural tree growth and lots of wildlife.
Three varieties of trees can be purchased here: white pine, white spruce, and Fraser fir. Rather than a set price for an entire tree variety, Cedar Creek prices their trees by the foot. Tree prices start at $25 for 4-5 feet and increase $5 every foot higher. Prices stop at $75, which will get you any tree 11 feet or taller!
- Address: 2631 Co Hwy J, Verona
- Prices: Trees are priced by the foot, starting at $25 for 4-5 feet up to $75 for over 11 feet.
- Tree varieties available: White pine, white spruce, Fraser fir
Green Bay Christmas Tree Farms
7. Aissen Tree Farm
The Aissen family Tree Farm is located in Kewaunee County, 9 miles south of Luxemburg. The property spans 50 acres and is home to thousands of trees for you to cut and take home. If you would prefer a quick stop, check out the pre-cut trees inside the 2000-square-foot indoor heated arena.
Cut-your-own tree varieties include Fraser, Balsam, and Concolor firs, Black Hill and Colorado Blue spruces, and Northern white cedar. Prices range from $38-$90. The indoor arena has pre-cut Balsam and Fraser firs and white pines, priced between $25 and $110. There are also brightly colored trees available, painted with safe latex-based paint, at a higher price point than the regular trees.
There is a huge gift shop with themed trees, handmade ornaments, artisan gifts, and more. There is also complimentary cider or cocoa at the door.
- Address: E1105 WI-29, Luxemburg
- Prices: $25-$110
- Tree varieties available: Fraser, Balsam, and Concolor fir; Black Hill and Colorado blue spruce; Northern white cedar; white pine.
- Attractions: Indoor tree arena, gift shop
8. Whispering Pines Tree Farm
Whispering Pines Tree Farm is located in Oconto, a half-hour north of Green Bay. They offer both pre-cut trees and cut-your-own (Balsam Fir, Fraser Fir, Spruce, and White Pine).
Prices for trees are set and differ by tree type. They range from $33- $62, with table-top trees costing just $4 and pre-cut “bargain rack” trees costing between $10-$40. Shaking, baling, and loading services are also available. Complimentary wagon rides will take you to your cutting lot of choice.
Some of the best attractions that your family will love include lifesize talking reindeer animatronics, an express train ride perfect for kids, and even photos with Santa. Don’t miss the gift shop, where you can choose from thousands of handmade traditional tree ornaments.
- Address: 3694 Airport Rd, Oconto
- Prices: $10-$62, tabletop trees for $4
- Tree varieties available: Balsam Fir, Fraser Fir, Spruce and White Pine
- Attractions: mini express train ride, holiday shop, photos with Santa
Other Wisconsin Christmas Tree Farms
9. Curvue Hideaway + Trees
Curvue Hideaway + Trees is a 10-acre Christmas tree farm located in Eau Claire, in northwestern Wisconsin. They offer two tree varieties, both pre-cut or cut-your-own: Balsam fir and Fraser fir.
There is so much to do beyond getting your Christmas tree. There are handmade evergreen wreaths and garlands available for purchase on-site, with custom options available by pre-order. There’s also a gift shop featuring crafts by artisans from the Chippewa Valley. If you’re chilly, this is also a great spot to relax and warm up since there’s a small seating area.
There are also hay bay wagon rides to take you to the tree lot, where you’ll choose your Christmas tree, as well as complimentary hot cocoa and s’mores.
- Address: 6760 Curvue Rd, Eau Claire
- Prices: unknown
- Tree varieties available: Balsam fir, Fraser fir
- Attractions: handmade greenery like wreaths, gift shop, wagon rides, complimentary snacks
10. Fraser Traditions Tree Farm
Fraser Traditions is a cut-your-own tree farm with two locations: one in Helenville and the other in Fort Atkinson. Both Wisconsin Christmas tree locations are about an hour from Milwaukee and Madison.
Their Fort Atkinson location carries a bigger selection of typical 5-foot to 9-foot trees and has more opening hours. Helenville carries a limited selection of much larger trees (8-foot to 16-foot) and is open just three days a week. Both locations carry a lovely range of handmade wreaths.
- Address: W2997 Markert Rd, Helenville / N2208 Morningside Ln, Fort Atkinson
- Prices: unknown
- Tree varieties available: Fraser fir
- Attractions: Handmade wreath market
11. Cook’s Woods
Located in Fennimore, about an hour and a half west of Madison, Cook’s Woods is a choose-and-cut Christmas tree farm with five varieties of Christmas trees: Balsam fir, Fraser fir, Concolor fir, white pine, and Scotch pine.
Trees are choose-and-cut (no pre-cut). Staff members are happy to cut your tree down for you if you tell them which one you’ve chosen. Tree heights range from 5 feet to 9 feet tall. Prices depend on the tree species and range from $27.50 to $97.50 (not including tax). Shaking and baling are offered at no extra charge.
There is also a heated barn with a wide selection of handmade balsam wreaths and garlands. Visit on a weekend to help yourself to complimentary hot coffee and hot cocoa!
- Address: 2176 Ebenezer Rd, Fennimore
- Prices: $28 – $98
- Tree varieties available: Balsam fir, Fraser fir, Concolor fir, white pine, and Scotch pine.
- Attractions: handmade wreaths, garlands, and holiday floral arrangements for sale