One of the most photographed places in the Philippines is none other than the beautiful Kayangan Lake. Well, actually it’s not Kayangan Lake when you are taking a picture of the iconic viewpoint you’re actually taking a picture of Coron Bay. The waters of Kayangan Lake are said to be the cleanest and clearest in the Philippines. While we haven’t visited them all it’s easy to see that this lake is special. The water is extremely clear and the colors are amazing. While it puts Coron on the map for most visitors, these beautiful islands hold many more amazing sights as well. Here is everything you need to know when planning a trip to Kayangan Lake.
Where is Kayangan Lake
This beautiful lake is located on Coron Island near the popular Philippines tourist town of Coron City on Busuanga Island. Kayangan Lake is in the part of the country known as Coron which is in the northern end of the Palawan Islands in the far southwest of the Philippines.
How to Get to Kayangan Lake
Most tourists visiting Kayangan Lake choose to stay in Coron Town on the neighboring island of Busuanga because of the airport and accommodation options. Kayangan Lake on Coron Island is a short boat ride away and can easily be arranged as a tour while in Coron Town. The two main options are to take a group tour or hire a private boat for the day to see Kayangan Lake and surrounding attractions.
Related Article: Best Places in the Philippines
Kayangan Lake Tour Package and Day Trips
The most common way to visit the lake is by taking a Kayangan Lake tour. Most tour operators in Coron Town offer a trip to Kayangan Lake with what they call “Coron Tour A”. On this tour, you will visit Kayangan Lake, Twin lagoons, Banol Beach, Coral Gardens, and some operators will bring you to Balinsasayaw Floating House. The average prices are around 1,000PHP or close to $20USD. We suggest booking this tour online, it’s $20 for a full day Coron Tour. This is the best option, that way you don’t have to spend time shopping for the best tour price and negotiating. Book online here.
|Tour Name||Includes Lunch||Price||Check Availability|
|Coron Islands Lakes Day Tour||yes||$20||Check Availability|
|Ultimate Island Hopping Tour with Buffet Lunch from Coron Town||yes||$52||Check Availability|
|Full-Day Coron Island Ecotours||yes||$60||Check Availability|
Other ways to see Kayangan Lake are by arranging a custom private tour with the boat operators. Depending on your negotiating skills a private tour can be had for around 2,000PHP depending on the duration and number of stops on the trip. If you are looking for a more relaxed trip consider a private tour.
Things to do at Kayangan lake
Kayangan Lake Viewpoint
This is what everyone comes here for, this view right here. Most people know of Kayangan Lake for the famous viewpoint, but what most don’t know is that the viewpoint isn’t looking at Kayangan Lake. Instead, the viewpoint looks on to the Coron Bay between Coron Island and Busuanga Island. The view from the top of the hill on Coron island looking down on the crystal clear turquoise waters and tall cliffs of the surrounding islands. This is one of the places I really wish I would have had my drone but this was before I traveled with a drone.
Swimming in Kayangan Lake
Almost all day trips and Kayangan Lake tour packages allow for time for a swim after visiting the viewpoint on the other side of the hill. The water here is some of the clearest anywhere in the world. Below the surface are plenty of interesting rock formations and lots of sea life.
Raft Rides in Kayangan lake
One of the most famous things to do take a raft ride around Kayangan Lake. Aboard a bamboo raft, you can explore the lake with a local guide.
Awuyuk Kayangan Cave
Through a narrow entrance, you can check out the Awuyuk Kayangan Cave with interesting things to see above and below the surface.
Diving in Kayangan Lake
Another thing to do in Kayangan Lake is go diving. The lake has both salt and fresh water and is home to a number of different marine life. The different waters for layers of salt and fresh and can be a unique diving experience similar to Cenote Diving in Mexico.
Tips before visiting Kayangan Lake
- The lake can get quite busy, and even more so the viewpoint can get crowded. To avoid the crowds you can try and arrange a private tour. Most tours run the same time meaning most people arrive all within a short time period of each other. Go private and have more time at each site of your Kayangan lake tour package.
- Visit off-season for an even more relaxed trip. The main tourist season for Coron and the lake is from November to April in the dryest season. Visiting outside of these times you’ll run into much thinner crowds in Coron and the lake.
Kayangan Lake FAQ
Q: Is Kayangan Lake Closed?
A: No, Kayangan Lake was closed in the first part of 2017 due to the drowning deaths of two tourists. The lake has since re-opened after taking measures to ensure others do not drown.
More things to do near Kayangan Lake
- Twin lagoons – Commonly packaged with Kayangan Lake, the twin lagoons are two breathtaking shallow saltwater lagoons with stunning water and great swimming opportunities.
- Barracuda Lake – Another lake similar to Kayangan Lake is the neighboring Barracuda Lake on Coron Island. This lake is a lot like Kayangan Lake, but significantly less visited since it’s not on as many packaged tours. Consider this option if you want to escape the crowds.
- Shipwreck Diving in Coron – One of the best things to do in here is to dive the famous WWII shipwrecks of Coron. There is an entire fleet of Japanese ships at the bottom of the bay in good shape and very easy to dive depths. A must do while in Coron.
Hotels Near Kayangan Lake
You’ll have to stay at a hotel in Coron Town and take a day tour to Kayangan Lake. There are a bunch of hotels in Coron Town and something for everyone’s budget. If you’re a backpacker you can find a room for under $15 a night but you will have a very basic room. There are also several luxury properties that will spoil you silly and would make a great spot for a Philippines honeymoon.
- Corto del Mar (this is where we stayed) | Check Rates On Agoda | Read Latest TripAdvisor Reviews
- The Funny Lion the #1 hotel in Coron on TripAdvisor | Get The Best Price On Agoda | Read Latest TripAdvisor Reviews
- Two Seasons Coron Island Resort & Spa right on their own private bach | Get The Best Price On Agoda | Read Latest TripAdvisor Reviews